Follow and/or Contact @PeteFiutak
It wasn’t any sort of a surprise that Alabama RB Derrick Henry won the Heisman, but as it turned out, it was a far closer race than it might have seemed coming into Saturday night.
Henry took 378 first place votes and 1,832 total points, but Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey came up with 290 first place votes and 1,539 total points and Clemson QB Deshaun Watson got 148 first place votes and 1,165 total points.
It was the order everyone expected – Henry, McCaffrey and Watson – but No. 4 was a bit of a question mark, Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield was the next guy up, but he only received 34 first place votes and just 334 total points.
Navy QB Keenan Reynolds was the surprise fifth-place finisher with 180 votes, LSU RB Leonard Fournette was sixth, Florida State RB Dalvin Cook seventh, followed by Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott and Michigan State QB Connor Cook and TCU QB Trevone Boykin tied for ninth.
In terms of the region, McCaffrey took the Far West vote with 333 points to Henry’s 282, but that was the only area that gave the Stanford star the top spot. Henry finished No. 1 in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South, Southwest and Midwest, with Watson finishing second in the Mid-Atlantic.
2015 Heisman Trophy Vote Totals
1. Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama: 1st 378, 2nd 277, 3rd 144, TOTAL 1,832
2. Christian McCaffrey, RB Stanford: 1st 290, 2nd 246, 3rd 177, TOTAL 1,539
3. Deshaun Waston, QB Clemson: 1st 148, 2nd 240, 3rd 241, TOTAL 1,165
4. Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma: 1st 34, 2nd 55, 3rd 122, TOTAL 334
5. Keenan Reynolds, QB Navy: 1st 20, 2nd 17, 3rd 86, TOTAL 180
6. Leonard Fournette, RB LSU: 1st 10, 2nd 25, 3rd 30, TOTAL 110
7. Dalvin Cook, RB Florida State: 1st 7, 2nd 18, 3rd 22. TOTAL 79
8. Ezekiel Elliott, RB Ohio State: 1st 5, 2nd 7, 3rd 28. TOTAL 57
T9. Connor Cook, QB Michigan State: 1st 2, 2nd 3, 3rd 1. TOTAL 13
T9. Trevone Boykin, RB TCU: 1st 1, 2nd 3, 3rd 4. TOTAL 13