Baylor vs. North Carolina Russell Athletic Bowl recap, score and key stats for the Bears and the Tar Heels.
Russell Athletic Bowl Recap, Key Stats
Score: Baylor 49, North Carolina 38
Prediction: Baylor 52, North Carolina 45, Line: Baylor -2.5, o/u: 70.5
And You Care Because … Baylor ripped up North Carolina for 645 rushing yards with Johnny Jefferson running for three scores and Terence Williams two in the dominant performance. North Carolina hung around, but the defense had no prayer as the Bears ran and ran and ran and ran some more. Jefferson tore off scoring runs from 11, 27 and 80 yards to keep Baylor rolling, but North Carolina tried to hang around with Marquise Williams running for two scores and throwing for three more. A 13-play, 75-yard drive in the fourth helped put the game away for Baylor with Williams finishing it off with a one-yard score. North Carolina got Williams final scoring pass to pull within 11, but Baylor ran out the clock.
– Baylor RB Johnny Jefferson ran 23 times for 299 yards and three scores. Devin Chafin ran 27 times for 156 yards and a score. Terence Williams ran 16 times for 97 yards and two scores.
– North Carolina QB Marquise Williams completed 22-of-36 passes for 243 yards and three scores with a pick, and ran 17 times for 81 yards and two scores.
– Baylor QB Chris Johnson completed 7-of-12 passes for 82 yards with a pick, and ran nine times for 36 yards,
– North Carolina RB Elijah Hood ran 13 times for 118 yards
– Baylor never cares about ball control – it held the ball for over 37 minutes.
– Total Yards: Baylor 756 – North Carolina 487
Game Rating: B+. YEEEEEEEESH. Considering the loss of some Corey Coleman and Shock Linwood, and the continued issues at quarterback, Baylor’s coaching staff did a brilliant job of getting Spencer Drango and the O line rolling, and the backs did their part with a phenomenal mix of power and speed.