Nov. 6, 2014
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Army and Navy will meet for the third installment of the Army-Navy Cup at PPL Park in Chester, Pa., on Friday, Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. The Black Knights are coming off a 1-0 victory over Lafayette on Nov. 1, while the Midshipmen are fresh off a 1-1 draw against Loyola.
Army (6-6-5 overall, 3-3-2 Patriot League) clinched a spot in the Patriot League Tournament with its win over Lafayette and currently sits sixth in the conference standings. With 11 points, the Black Knights can jump to as high as fourth in the league, but a loss would keep them sixth heading into the tournament.
Army will be the No. 5 seed with a win over Navy and a loss by Bucknell (13 points), but can reach the No. 4 slot with a win and losses by Bucknell and Lehigh (13 points). If the Black Knights lose or tie against Navy, they will stay at No. 6.
Navy (10-4-4, 5-1-2), which is receiving votes in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) national poll, has locked up the No. 2 seed with 17 points and will earn a bye in the quarterfinal round of the Patriot League Tournament.
Date: Nov. 7, 2014
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Chester, Pa.
Venue: PPL Park
Series: Navy leads, 38-27-14
Streak: Navy, 1 game
Last Meeting: Navy 1, Army 0, 2OT (11/8/13)
HOW TO FOLLOW
Friday’s game will be broadcasted to a national audience on the American Sports Network. A full listing of television stations carrying the game can be found on the attached PDF. The match will also be streamed live on the Patriot League Network and live stats will be available through GameTracker. In-game Twitter updates will be offered via the men’s soccer team’s official handle (@Army_MSoccer).
Tickets for general admission are $18, which includes parking. Reserved seats, located in sections 126-128, are $28, which also includes parking. Tickets can be purchased online at comcasttix.com, by phone at 1-800-298-4200, or in person at the PPL park box office. For Group Sales Information, please call 215-389-9543 or email email@example.com.
ARMY (6-6-5, 3-3-2) NOTES
• Army clinched a spot in the Patriot League Tournament for the second year in a row with a 1-0 win over Lafayette on Nov. 1.
• Sophomore Christian Clark netted his second goal of the season on an assist from junior Justin Kim in the 31st minute for the game-deciding score.
• Senior Winston Boldt made five saves to notch his seventh shutout of the season and extend his Academy record to 23 career shutouts.
• Army enters Friday as the No. 6 seed in the Patriot League, but can move up to as high as fourth with a win and losses by Bucknell and Lehigh.
NAVY (10-4-4, 5-1-2) NOTES
• Navy played to a 1-1 draw at Loyola in its last contest on Nov. 1.
• Senior Joseph Greenspan provided a goal, while junior Jackson Morgan made a pair of saves.
• The Midshipmen clinched a No. 2 seed in next week’s Patriot League Tournament to earn an automatic bye to the conference semifinals in Boston, Mass.
• Navy outlasted Army for a 1-0 double-overtime victory in last season’s Army-Navy Cup at PPL Park in Chester, Pa.
INSIDE THE ARMY-NAVY SERIES
First Meeting: 1938
All-Time Record: Navy leads, 38-27-14
At West Point: Army leads, 16-13-8
At Navy: Navy leads, 24-10-4
At Neutral Site: Tied, 1-1-2
Last Army Win: Nov. 7, 2008 (1-0 at West Point)
Last Navy Win: Nov. 8, 2013 (1-0, 2OT in Chester, Pa.)
Series Streak: Navy, 1 game
Army will await Saturday’s Patriot League results to learn its seed and opponent for the Patriot League Quarterfinals on Tuesday, Nov. 11.