Oct. 9, 2015
|Men’s Soccer (7-2-1, 2-0-1 PL) vs. Loyola (1-7-2, 0-2-1 PL)|
|Date||Saturday, Oct. 10 | 1 p.m.|
|Venue||Nickerson Field | Boston, Mass.|
|Tickets||$5 – General, $3 – BU Faculty/Staff
Free – BU Students with Sports Pass
|Watch||Patriot League Network (online)|
|@BUGameDay | @BU_MensSoccer|
BOSTON – Having claimed three straight 1-0 victories, the Boston University men’s soccer team will put its five-game unbeaten streak on the line against Loyola Maryland on Saturday with action slated to begin at 1 p.m.
The Terriers (7-2-1, 2-0-1 PL) enter the matchup 3-1-1 at home with all three wins by way of shutout, while the Greyhounds (1-7-2, 0-2-1 PL) are 0-5-0 on the road with three 1-0 losses.
• BU has opened a season without being shut out through 10 games for the first time since the 1994 squad reached the mark … In 1968, the Terriers avoided a shutout while going 9-4-0.
• The Terriers are riding a 12-game unbeaten streak in conference regular season action … Last year, they went 6-0-3 for their first unbeaten league record since 1994 … A win or tie vs. Loyola would mark the best streak since BU went 29 games (28-0-1) without a loss from 1989-1993.
• On Wednesday, the Terriers scored a golden goal for the second time this season after a season-opening win at Fordham … They are 2-0-1 in overtime after going 2-1-4 last season.
• BU has prevailed in three or more straight one-goal decisions many times over the years … However, the Terriers last won three straight 1-0 victories back in 1986.
• Junior Matt Gilbert owns five shutouts this season after being named both NSCAA College Player and Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week on Mon. … He currently ranks eighth nationally in save percentage (.862) and 15th in saves per game (5.00).
• Seven Terriers have scored at least one goal this year with sophomore Anthony Viteri (6g) and junior Felix De Bona (4g) being the lone men to find the back of the net more than once … The two men have posted the last two game winners.
SCOUTING LOYOLA MARYLAND
• Three of Loyola’s losses have been 1-0 decisions … Own 1-0 win against then-No. 11 UMBC with draws against Lafayette and St. Francis (Pa.) … American scored three second-half goals for a 3-0 victory over the Greyhounds on Wednesday.
• Brennan Goldsmith leads Loyola with three points on one goal and one assist this year … He became the first to score this season when he netted a goal at Duke.
• Brad Warenicz is the only other Greyhound to score this year, as he headed in the game-winning goal in a 1-0 upset win over UMBC … Alex Ponvert assisted the goal, sending a cross into the box from the left side … Antony Sare also has an assist this season, rounding out the Greyhounds’ point contributors.
• Defensively, freshman A. Mickey Watson leads the way and was named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week on September 14 after helping Loyola record a 1-0 shutout win against the Retrievers.
• Matt Sanchez owns a 1.48 goals-against average and a .725 save percentage to go with three shutouts.
• BU is 2-1-2 all-time in the series that dates back to a neutral-site meeting in 1987 … The Terriers won 2-0 in 2013 at home with Gilbert tallying three saves … Lucas McBride had one of the goals.
• Last year at Loyola, De Bona scored the first goal in the 14th minute … Loyola led in shot attempts, 13-10, and scored the equalizer with 37 seconds remaining in regulation for the 1-1 draw … Sanchez had seven saves for the Greyhounds.
• After a quick stop at home, the Terriers will go back on the road for two matchups … They first resume the non-conference slate at Brown on Tuesday (Oct. 13) at 7 p.m.
• The Bears edged BU, 1-0, last season and claimed a 3-1 victory in Providence back in 2013.