Dec. 13, 2015
USC Upstate (2-9) at Navy (8-3)
Monday, Dec. 14, 2015 at 7:00 PM (ET)
Annapolis, Md. | Alumni Hall (5,710)
Live Video: Patriot League Network | Live Statistics
Navy Radio Network: 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV & wnav.com
Game Promotions | Buy Tickets
Navy Game Notes | USC Upstate Game Notes
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Navy men’s basketball team (8-3) will host USC Upstate (2-9) on Monday at 7 PM at Alumni Hall after recently concluding a season-long seven-game road swing. Navy was 6-1 on its recent seven-game road swing and of all the teams in the NCAA without a loss in true road games, Navy has the most wins at 5-0.
Navy and USC Upstate are meeting for the second time this season. The Mids defeated the Spartans, 67-55, on Nov. 19 in Spartanburg, S.C. Sophomore Shawn Anderson scored 18 points with six rebounds and five assists and Tilman Dunbar (11) and Jace Hogan (10) also scored in double figures.
Monday’s game will feature free live video on the Patriot League Network and the game can also be heard on 1430 AM / 99.9 FM WNAV with Pete Medhurst and Michael Heary on the call. Live statistics will also be available.
• After completing a seven-game road swing with a 68-62 win at VMI on Saturday, Navy (8-3) is returning home for its fourth home game of the season.
• Navy was 6-1 on the seven-game swing with its only loss being to #24 Oregon, which snapped a seven-game winning streak by the Mids.
• Navy is an NCAA-best 5-0 in true road games this season and 2-1 in neutral-site games.
• Jace Hogan matched his career high with 17 points in the win at VMI and was 9-of-10 from the free throw line. He also had eight rebounds.
• Hogan has scored in double figures in five straight games and he is second on the team in scoring average at 12.3. Hogan leads the team with 5.9 rebounds per game.
• Sophomore Shawn Anderson had 10 points and six rebounds against VMI and he is the team’s leading scorer at 12.5 points per game.
• Anderson is this week’s NAAA Athlete of the Week and he is featured in this week’s Sports Illustrated’s Faces in the Crowd.
• Junior Tim Abruzzo scored a career-high 14 points at VMI. Abruzzo has made a 3-pointer in all eight games that he has played in this season.
• Abruzzo is fourth on the team in scoring at 8.6 points per game behind Anderson, Hogan and senior Will Kelly (8.8).
• Navy’s 8-3 start is its best start to a season since opening the 2008-09 season with the same record. Navy has not opened a season at 9-3 since 2006-07.
• Navy is ranked first in the Patriot League and 17th in the NCAA in scoring defense at 59.9 points allowed per game.
• Navy also leads the Patriot League in field goal percentage defense (.403) and rebounding margin (+5.9).
USC Upstate Storylines
• USC Upstate enters Monday’s game at 2-9 on the season.
• The Spartans are 0-8 against Division I opponents this season and are 2-1 against non-Division I opponents.
• USC Upstate is coming off a 70-58 win over non-D1 program North Greenville on Friday evening.
• Mike Cunningham led the Spartans with 18 points in the win over North Greenville.
• USC Upstate’s other win this season was against Toccoa Falls, 101-54.
• Deion Holmes leads the team in scoring at 15.4 points per game and Cunningham is second at 9.2.
Series History vs. USC Upstate
• Navy and USC Upstate are meeting for the second time this season and the second time in series history.
• The Mids defeated the Spartans, 67-55, on Nov. 19 in Spartanburg, S.C.
• Sophomore Shawn Anderson scored 18 points with six rebounds and five assists and Tilman Dunbar (11) and Jace Hogan (10) also scored in double figures.
• Holmes scored 18 points in the game for the Spartans.
• Navy will take a break to focus on final exams and the team’s next game will not be until Tuesday, Dec. 22 at home against Furman (5-4).
Parking / Shuttle Information
All fans are encouraged to park at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium and take the fan shuttle to Alumni Hall. Fans can enter Gate 5 off Taylor Avenue and pay $5 for parking. The shuttle is free and the pick up and drop off spot is in front of the Blue Angel plane. All fans visiting the Yard over the age of 18 should have photo ID. Buses will run every 15 minutes starting at 6:00 PM and will continue running throughout the game and until one hour after the completion of the game. Parking at the stadium is the best option for fans attending the game.