menu-toggle Created with Sketch.

Men’s Soccer Ties Bucknell, 0-0; Bison Advances on Penalty Kicks, 5-4

Nov. 14, 2014

Box Score

BOSTON, Mass. – The Navy men’s soccer team (11-4-5) and Bucknell (9-9-3) finished 110 minutes in a scoreless tie but the Bison advanced to the Patriot League finals, defeating the Midshipmen, 5-4, in penalty kicks on Friday in Boston, Massachusetts. Navy wrapped up its 2014 season with an 11-5-4 record, while Bucknell improved to 10-9-2 and will face Boston University in the championship game.

“I thought we played extremely well throughout the entire game, especially our crosses into the box,” Navy head coach Dave Brandt said. “Unfortunately, we did not finish our chances and that was our undoing.”

Navy overwhelmed Bucknell on the offensive end, holding sizeable advantages in shots, 20-11 and shots on goal, 5-1. Both teams were even in corner kicks, 3-3.

Bucknell’s lone scoring opportunity came in the 32nd minute. Bison midfielder Jonathan Grad had possession at the top of the 18, moved to his right to have an open look and sent a high shot where Navy goalkeeper Jackson Morgan made an acrobatic one-handed save to knock the ball over the crossbar.

Navy looked to break open the scoreless tie in the 36th minute with its best scoring chance. Navy midfielder Brock Dudley served a cross just in front of the six-yard box where defender Derek Vogel was positioned to place a shot with his head towards net, but just grazed the top of the cross bar.

Both teams were unable to find the back of the net for the final 74 minutes to force penalty kicks.

Sophomore Sam Bascom, senior Joseph Greenspan and sophomore Daniel Camuti cashed in their penalty kick opportunities to stay even with Bucknell, 3-3. After both teams missed their fourth shot, Bucknell’s Mark Leibensperger and Navy junior Derek Vogel finished off their respective kicks.

With the penalty kicks even, 4-4, the Bison’s Austin Lenart put Bucknell ahead, 5-4, with his shot. Dudley was given the nod for a chance to even the PKs at five, but Dudley’s shot was denied by Bucknell’s Clarke Fox to send the Bison onto the Patriot League title game.

Navy’s Morgan held Bucknell scoreless for 110 minutes, recording one save. Bucknell’s Fox held the Mids in check, tallying five saves in 110 minutes and the crucial save in penalty kicks.

Related Posts


  • College Football
  • June 6, 2017
  • Campus Insiders

Three Michigan State Football Players Dismissed From Team

Three Michigan State football players were dismissed from the team on Tuesday. Donnie Corley, Josh King and Demetric Vance were charged for an alleged incident on January 16 with a woman at an off-campus apartment. “After charges were announced, we took brief and immediate action,” Spartans Athletic Director Mark Hollis said in a Tuesday press […]

Live Events

All times are Eastern Time Zone.

Popular Posts