Nov. 19, 2015
|Opponent||Norfolk State Spartans|
|Date||Saturday, Nov. 21, 2015|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Free Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY MARYLAND
• Loyola is beginning its 45th season as a women’s basketball program and its 35th year of competition as an NCAA Division I program. Prior to 1981, the Greyhounds competed in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW).
• The 2013-14 season was Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• Prior to joining the League, Loyola was a member of the Northeast Conference for nine seasons (1980-89), before joining the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference in 1989. The Greyhounds posted an overall record of 196-205 in MAAC games and won two MAAC Championships, in 1993 and 1994.
THINGS TO KNOW
• On Saturday afternoon, Loyola will take on Norfolk State University for the first time in program history. The Greyhounds and Spartans will tipoff inside Reitz Arena at 4 p.m.
• Loyola is coming off a 71-45 loss to former Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference foe Fairfield University Wednesday night in Reitz Arena.
• This season, three Greyhounds – sophomore Bri Betz-White and seniors Colleen Marshall and Diana Logan – are averaging double figures in scoring. Betz-White is averaging a team-best 14.7 points per game, which is ranked seventh among Patriot League competitors. Marshall is averaging 10.3 points per game, while Logan is averaging 10.0.
• Logan is shooting 50 percent from the field, including 60 percent from 3-point range. After three games, Logan has made six treys and is tied for second in the Patriot League in 3-point field goals made.
• Marshall’s 2.8 assist to turnover ratio is ranked second in the League, while she has recorded a team-best 11 assists this season.
• Marshall was one of two guards in the Patriot League to be named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team, becoming the seventh Loyola player under Logan to earn a preseason conference honor.
• Loyola was picked to finish eighth in the Patriot League Preseason Poll.
• The Greyhounds return nine players from a team that went 7-23 overall last season.
• Loyola is one of 25 NCAA Division I programs to return all five starters from the 2014-15 season.
LAST TIME OUT
• Loyola fell to Fairfield University, 71-45, Wednesday night in the Greyhounds’ 2015-16 home opener in Reitz Arena.
• In the first non-conference meeting between the two former MAAC foes, the Stags closed out the first quarter with a 15-2 run to take a 17-7 edge into the second quarter and the Greyhounds were never able to catch up.
• For the second-straight game, senior Diana Logan led Loyola’s offense, contributing 11 points. Senior Colleen Marshall added nine points and a career-high six assists, while sophomore Bri Betz-White had eight points and a personal-best seven rebounds. Graduate student Steph Smith led the defense with eight rebounds.
SERIES HISTORY VERSUS NORFOLK STATE
• Saturday’s matchup will mark the first meeting between Loyola and Norfolk State.
• The Greyhounds have another quick turnaround before Thanksgiving as they host William & Mary Monday night in Reitz Arena. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.