Dec. 12, 2015
|Men’s Basketball (4-5) at Quinnipiac (4-4)|
|Date||Sunday, Dec. 13 | 2 p.m.|
|Venue||TD Bank Sports Center | Hamden, Conn.|
|Listen | Watch||TSRN (BU Radio) | QuinnipiacBobcats.com|
|Game Notes||Boston University|
|@BUGameDay | @BostonUMBB|
BOSTON – Continuing a three-game road trip, the Boston University men’s basketball team will visit Quinnipiac on Sunday with action slated to begin at 2 p.m. The regional rivals are meeting for the sixth straight year with all six previous games being decided by seven points or less.
The Terriers (4-5) are coming off a dominting 80-60 victory at UMass Lowell and will seek back-to-back wins for the first time this season, while the Bobcats (4-4) are looking for their first three-game win streak after pulling out wins at Canisius (78-76) and Hartford (68-66).
• BU is 3-3 on the road after going 1-4 last year in non-conference action … Last won four true non-conference road games in 2004-05 … 2013-14 season featured four wins away from home (including vs. Maryland) but one victory was on a neutral court (vs. LIU Brooklyn at UC Irvine).
• The 20-point win at UMass Lowell marked BU’s largest margin of victory on the road against a non-conference opponent since a 74-46 win at St. Bonaventure in 2006 … BU defeated Howard, 71-44, at UCF in 2012 … The victory was also the biggest non-conference win since defeating UMass Lowell, 91-65, at home in 2013.
• Due to injuries, BU has used five different lineups in the last six games … Junior and preseason All-Patriot League honoree Cedric Hankerson has only played one game this season at UMass … Senior Justin Alston missed the UMass Lowell game after suffering a injury against Harvard.
• BU is averaging 73.6 ppg and shooting 44.5 FG% … In all four wins, the Terriers shot above 46 percent … In the last three losses, they have been held below 70 points.
• With a career-high 11 points on Thursday, sophomore Eric Johnson became the 10th Terrier this season to reach double figures in scoring.
• Senior John Papale (13.6 ppg) has hit five 3-pointers in four games to rank 14th in the NCAA in made 3FGs (3.6) … Earned back-to-back 21-pt. performances vs. Albany and at NJIT after reaching 20+ points a combined two times his first three years … Ranks third at BU all-time in career treys (224) with his 223rd at UMass Lowell making him the 34th Terrier to reach 1,000-points.
• Sophomore Nick Havener (18 pts., 11 rebs. vs. Harvard) and Nate Dieudonne (10 pts., 10 rebs. vs. Northeastern) have both of BU”s double-doubles this year … They are averaging a combined 11.2 rpg this season.
• Sophomore Cheddi Mosely reached 20+ points for the fourth time this season at UMass Lowell with a game-high 23 points … He added a career and game-high eight rebounds … Currently leads the Terriers in scoring at 13.9 ppg with junior Eric Fanning (10.7 ppg), Dieudonne (10.4 ppg) and freshman Kyle Foreman (10.3 ppg) also averaging double-figure scoring.
• Selected to finish seventh in the 11-team MAAC, the Bobcats are 2-1 at home this season with a 62-56 win over Holy Cross and 69-59 victory against NC Central … Their lone loss came on Dec. 1 against Albany (58-54), who fell earlier in the second game of the season at BU, 69-64.
• 6-foot-1 guard Giovanni McLean averages a team-high 15.6 ppg and 3.3 apg to lead Quinnipiac … 6-foot-4 guard Daniel Harris and 6-foot-9 forward Chaise Daniels are the other two Bobcats in double figures at 10.6 and 10.0 ppg, respectively.
• Quinnipiac outrebounded Hartford by 18 on Wednesday and is outrebounding opponents by a positive 9.6 margin … Two years ago at home, the Bobcats finished ahead in rebounds by 20 against the Terriers but still came up short, 69-66 … 6-foot-9 forward Donovan Smith leads in rebounding at 6.8 rpg while also averaging 2.0 bpg.
• The Bobcats average 6.6 blocks a game with Daniels averaging three alone … On the defensive end, they are limiting opponents to 30.8 3-point field goal percentage.
• Quinnipiac is averaging 67.1 ppg but is shooting just 38.8 percent from the field.
• The Terriers lead, 4-2, after winning the first meeting in 2000 and the last three contests.
• The 3-pointer has proven critical in BU’s last three victories … John Papale sent the game to OT in 2012 and won the game in 2014 with a 3-pointer with only a couple of seconds remaining … D.J. Irving broke the deadlock before the buzzer at Quinnipiac in 2013.
• Last year, Hankerson tallied 23 points and seven rebounds to help BU pull out a 71-68 win at home … The Terriers only led for 2:32 of the contest.
• BU will visit its second consecutive MAAC opponent, Canisius, on Saturday (Dec. 19), to conclude the three-game road trip … The ESPN3 broadcast will begin at 2 p.m.
• The Terriers are 14-9 all-time in the series, as both teams were members of the America East together in the 1980s … BU fell in the last meeting, 83-75, in 2012 at Canisius in head coach Joe Jones’ first career road game at the helm with the Terriers.