March 2, 2015
|Opponent||No. 4 Florida|
|Date||Tuesday, March 3, 2015|
|Location||Gainesville, Fla. | Donald R. Dizney Stadium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
• This marks the second time in program history that Loyola has played in Florida.
• The Gators are riding a four-game win streak, while the Greyhounds are looking to avenge an 11-10 loss in overtime to No. 19 James Madison.
• Both squads enter the game ranked nationally in the IWLCA Coaches Poll.
• The Gators are Loyola’s fourth-straight nationally ranked opponent this season, while they’re also the Greyhounds’ first top-five foe.
• Three Greyhounds will be playing in their home state; sisters Maddy and Olivia Blakeman (Vero Beach) and Bailey Mathis (Lake Worth).
• The game will be broadcast live on the SEC Network.
Things To Know
• This marks Loyola’s 43rd season of women’s lacrosse competition.
• Loyola was picked as the preseason favorites in the Patriot League after winning the regular season and tournament titles in its inaugural year.
• The Greyhounds bring a nine-game conference win streak into the season, as they went 8-0 in their first season of Patriot League play.
• Senior Annie Thomas and junior Maddy Lesher were tabbed the preseason Patriot League offensive and defensive players of the year, respectively.
• Lesher, Thomas and redshirt senior Taryn VanThof, a member of the US National Team, were named Preseason All-Americans by ILWomen.
• On Wednesday, Feb. 25, Thomas became the first player in program history, and the 50th in NCAA history, to reach 100 goals and 100 assists in their career.
• Loyola’s senior class has accounted for more than 60 percent of the team’s scoring the past three years – including goals, assists and points. So far this year, 28 of the Greyhounds’ 30 goals have come from a senior, while 39 of the 42 points recorded this year are from a fourth-year player.
Loyola Greyhounds (1-2, 0-0 Patriot League)
• The Greyhounds return 10 starters from last year’s squad that finished the year with a 15-6 overall record, an 8-0 mark in conference play, the school’s first-ever Patriot League Championship and a fourth-straight NCAA Tournament appearance.
• Eight Greyhounds have scored in the first three games, led by senior Hannah Schmitt, who has 13 points on 10 goals and three assists. Averaging 3.33 goals per game, Schmitt leads the Patriot League in the category.
• Of Loyola’s 30 goals this year, 28 have been scored by a senior. Junior Maddy Blakeman and redshirt sophomore Katrina Geiger are the only non-seniors to score.
• Maddy Lesher leads the defense with six ground balls and three caused turnovers.
• In goal, Molly Wolf is giving up 9.69 goals per game and has seven ground balls.
Florida Gators (4-1, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• Florida enters the game on a four-game win streak after dropping a 17-11 decision to North Carolina in the seaosn opener. In their four wins, the Gators are outscoring their opponents (Jacksonville, Michigan, San Diego State and Dartmouth), 73-25.
• Shannon Gilroy, a Tewaaraton Award Watch List candidate, leads the Gators’ offense with 25 points on 20 goals and five assists. Nora Barry, also on the Tewaaraton Award Watch List, is fifth on the team with 11 points on nine goals and two assists.
• Mary-Sean Wilcox leads the defense with an 8.79 goals-against average and 10 ground balls. She’s stopping 43.8 percent of shots faced.
• Loyola will return to Baltimore for a 1 p.m., contest against Penn State on Saturday.