Los Angeles CA: April 25, 2017– The Collegiate StarLeague (CSL) today announced the teams qualifying for the upcoming 2017 North American Collegiate Grand Finals. Each of the collegiate leagues had hundreds of teams competing through the season with the top four teams for each league earning a spot for the Grand Finals event, being held this year in Toronto May 12th – 14th. A four team League of Legends Invitational will also be showcased as part of the weekend tournament. More than $100,000 in scholarships will be awarded to students across the four game titles.
The qualifying teams for each of the Grand Finals are:
- Counter Strike: Global Offensive: University of California Irvine, University of British Columbia, University of California Los Angeles, and CUNY Baruch
- DotA2: University of Connecticut, California State University Long Beach, University of California Davis and University of British Columbia
- Starcraft II: University of Waterloo, University of Montreal, University of Conneticut, and Temple University
- League of Legends Invitational: University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, McMaster University and the University of Toronto
The CSL North American Collegiate Grand Finals will be the culminating collegiate esports event for the record breaking 2016-17 season. Over 900 universities and colleges participated in the season that saw over 1500 teams compete from October 2016 to April 2017 across six games and three different platforms. “This is the largest collegiate esports event of the year and we’re thrilled to be hosting this year’s event in Toronto. Canada overall has a huge appetite for live esports events and to have the best collegiate esports teams here vying for the international championships for their schools, as well as scholarships for themselves, is an amazing honour.”, says Wim Stocks, CEO/GM of WorldGaming.
The Scotiabank Theatre in downtown Toronto will play host to the weekend tournament. The weekend also includes an opening ceremonies, a players’ Gala and a series of speaker panels and keynotes on the esports industry. Panels and keynotes will include:
- The Business of Esports (keynote)
- The Rise of Collegiate Esports (keynote)
- Sponsorships in Esports (panel) Game Development (panel)
- The Future of Collegiate Esports (panel)
- How to get a career in Esports (panel)
Ticket sales go live today Tuesday April 25th, 2017 at 10AM EST at www.cineplex.com/gameon. A one day ticket will cost $11.50 and include 300 SCENE points, a three day weekend ticket will cost $27.50 and include 1000 SCENE points. For more information, additional league, player and team content check out www.cstarleague.com.
About Collegiate StarLeague Collegiate StarLeague, a division of WorldGaming, is the world’s largest collegiate gaming league. Since 2009, it has awarded over $300,000 in scholarship money to student gamers from around the world. It has over 30,000 registered players across 900+ registered schools.
For more information, visit www.cstarleague.com. For further information, contact: Sarah Van Lange Director, Communications Sarah.VanLange@Cineplex.com, 647-287-9582