Texas football recruiting update as of October 9, 2016.
The 2016 campaign started off on a positive note, but Charlie Strong’s Longhorns have been unable to come up with a win in their last three games.
A 45-40 loss to Oklahoma this past weekend didn’t help Strong or his job security, but if we’ve learned anything from the 2016 recruiting cycle, it’s that Strong can recruit with the best of ’em no matter what.
Texas lost three of its last five games last season, and Strong still orchestrated a huge jump on National Signing Day that saw the Longhorns skyrocket from being outside the top 30 to being a top-10 class. They ended up with the No. 3 class, and they could do the same this time around, too.
Four-star defensive ends Taquon Graham and Lagaryonn Carson have complete faith in Strong, and that played a huge role in their commitments to Texas. With 5-star linebacker Baron Browning set to make his decision next month, the Longhorns are still very much in play for his commitment — because of Strong. As long as he’s the head coach, Texas will compete for the nation’s top prospects.
In fact, had it not been for a near perfect visit to Tuscaloosa that drew a commitment to Alabama, 5-star linebacker Dylan Moses would have been making an official visit to Austin this upcoming weekend for the Iowa State game.
There isn’t a definitive list of recruiting visitors for the game against the Cyclones at this moment.
However, there were some highly touted recruits on hand to watch the Red River Rivalry, though. K’Lavon Chaisson, a 4-star defensive end and Texas target, was there. He has Houston, LSU and Oklahoma chasing him as well.
Three-star wide receiver Jaylen Waddle, a 2018 prospect and teammate of 5-star defensive tackle Marvin Wilson, was also in attendance.
Texas has the No. 34 class in the 2017 recruiting rankings right now, but it’s only 336 recruiting points behind No. 25 North Carolina. So, a couple of 4-star commits could send Strong’s team flying up the rankings.
Note: Scout rankings and ratings used in this article.
Texas Football Recruiting Update
- No. 34 Overall Class
- Total Commits: 8
- 5-Star Commits: 0
- 4-Star Commits: 5
- 3-Star Commits: 3
- Taquon Graham: 4-Star, No. 9 DE, No. 124 Overall
- Lagaryonn Carson: 4-Star, No. 4 DE, No. 42 Overall
- Sam Ehlinger: 4-Star, No. 7 QB, No. 83 Overall
- Damion Miller: 4-Star, No. 20 WR, No. 134 Overall
- Montrell Estell: 4-Star, No. 31 ATH, Unranked Overall
- Xavier Newman: 3-Star, No. 6 C, Unranked Overall
- Kobe Boyce: 3-Star, No. 34 CB, Unranked Overall
- Josh Thompson: 3-Star, No. 44 CB, Unranked Overall
Top 2017 Targets
- Jeffrey Okudah: 5-Star, No. 1 ATH, No. 11 Overall
- Anthony Hines: 5-Star, No. 1 ILB, No. 19 Overall
- Baron Browning: 5-Star, No. 2 OLB, No. 25 Overall
- Walker Little: 5-Star, No. 2 OT, No. 16 Overall
- K’Lavon Chaisson: 4-Star, No. 6 DE, No. 51 Overall