Texas football recruiting update as of December 27, 2016 finds the Longhorns with serious momentum on the trail.
When he took the job, he knew there wasn’t a whole lot of time remaining in the 2017 recruiting cycle. But Tom Herman has made moves, and now the Longhorns appear to be trending upward.
On Monday, offensive guard Derek Kerstetter became the third prospect to flip his commitment to Texas and the Longhorns’ fourth commit in the last week. He was pledged to Oklahoma State before committing to Herman’s staff.
Kersetter joined 3-star tight end Cade Brewer, who flipped from SMU, and 3-star running back Daniel Young, who flipped from Houston. Both made the move to Texas three days prior to Kerstetter’s decision.
The biggest addition for Texas over the past week came in the form of 4-star recruit Toneil Carter Jr., the nation’s No. 9 running back and No. 102 overall player. Carter’s offer was reportedly pulled by Georgia after Nick Chubb and Sony Michel announced they would be returning for the 2017 season. That left the door open for the Houston native to stay within the Lone Star State.
Even with Carter and Young in the class, it won’t stop the Longhorns from pursuing 4-star prospect Eno Benjamin, the No. 10 running back and No. 106 overall player in the country. Benjamin is a former Iowa commit and from Wylie, Texas. He picked up an offer from the Longhorns earlier this month before making a trip to Austin on Dec. 9 right before the dead period set in. Texas is battling with Arizona State, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma State and Utah for his commitment. But the Longhorns are the clear-cut favorite to land him at this point.
There is one more situation to keep an eye on. Four-star defensive end Lagaryonn Carson is no longer a part of Texas’ 2017 recruiting class. Campus Insiders spoke with Carson regarding the situation, and he clarified that he does not currently have an offer from Herman’s staff at the moment. However, he’s hoping to change that next month.
Note: Scout rankings and ratings used in this article.
Texas Football Recruiting Update
- No. 44 Overall Class
- Total Commits: 11
- 5-Star Commits: 0
- 4-Star Commits: 6
- 3-Star Commits: 3
- 2-Star Commits: 2
- Taquon Graham: 4-Star, No. 12 DE, No. 138 Overall
- Toneil Carter Jr.: 4-Star, No. 9 RB, No. 102 Overall
- Sam Ehlinger: 4-Star, No. 7 QB, No. 84 Overall
- Damion Miller: 4-Star, No. 19 WR, No. 130 Overall
- Montrell Estell: 4-Star, No. 31 ATH, Unranked Overall
- Josh Thompson: 4-Star, No. 29 CB, No. 299 Overall
- Kobe Boyce: 3-Star, No. 34 CB, Unranked Overall
- Daniel Young: 3-Star, No. 76 RB, Unranked Overall
- Cade Brewer: 3-Star, No. 73 TE, Unranked Overall
- Derek Kerstetter: 2-Star OG, Unranked
- Josh Rowland: 2-Star JUCO K
Top 2017 Targets
- K’Lavon Chaisson: 4-Star, No. 5 DE, No. 51 Overall
- Eno Benjamin: 4-Star, No. 10 RB, No. 106 Overall
- Ryan Johnson: 4-Star, No. 17 DE, No. 203 Overall
- Marqez Bimage: 3-Star, No. 43 OLB, Unranked Overall
- Bryan Jones: 3-Star, No. 32 DE, Unranked Overall
Hook ‘Em, Twitter
Offensive guard Derek Kerstetter became the latest 2017 recruit to flip to the Longhorns.